Coding Chase - Projects

My 3D Hub

Thank You For Donating:

Ikeeki (linux-sunxi@irc.freenode.net)
Computer Troubleshooters Brasil

Sunday 21 June 2015

3D Printing

Recently I've decided to buy a 3D printer. Completely unaware of all the complexities behind 3D printing, I set out to choose one.

Although 3D printers have been around for a while now, buying one can be a challenging task, from price tag to print area size, print detail, print speed... etc etc etc etc.

First of all, there are a couple of websites which help a lot:



  • https://www.3dhubs.com/
  • http://www.thingiverse.com/
Between these two, you should find everything you need to get started.

So, since my budget wasn't that high, I eventually decided to buy a CTC Dual Extruder Printer.

https://www.3dhubs.com/3d-printers/ctc-3d

The reviews are mixed everywhere, there's people complaining about reliability, customer service and then the success cases... oh well, I decided to take a gamble.

I got it from ebay, shipped from Hamburg, and about a week later, I had it in my study!

I still have pretty much everything to learn from 3D printing, but after printing a couple of models, I'm actually pretty pleased with the quality, functionality and practicality of it...! :)

There are quite a few youtube videos out there about this printer, basically it's already pre-assembled, all you have to do is screw in the extruders head and set up the filament spool.

A couple of advices with this: take your time. Read and watch as much as you need to feel comfortable with the device.
If you feel the need to peel stuff off - don't! Make sure you're supposed to.

I'm still to try out the second extruder, different materials, etc. etc. etc. - but so far, one weekend in and I've been having quite a lot of fun with this printer!

No comments :

Post a Comment